5 benefits of yoga
Yoga is one of the simplest forms of exercise you can do to improve your mind, and body. All you need is a yoga mat, and some comfortable clothing!
Yoga offers physical and mental health benefits for people of all ages. And, if you’re going through an illness, or living with a chronic condition, yoga can become an integral part of your treatment.
- Improve flexibility and strength: Yoga stretches your muscles. Standing poses work the muscles in the lower body, and inversions, like downward dog and arm balances, strengthen the upper body.
- Stand up straighter: Many poses in yoga can strengthen the core muscles in your stomach and back. A strong core leads to better posture, which can help prevent back and neck problems.
- Ease stress and anxiety levels: Yoga involves breathing exercises that force you to pay attention to your breath. Deep breathing can help you relax almost instantly, which can help relieve stress and anxiety.
- Reduce low back pain: Practicing yoga for several months may ease chronic low back pain, help you function better, and enrich your quality of life.
- Improve sleep: Yoga has been shown to be helpful for sleep in studies of older adults, people with arthritis, pregnant women, and other groups.
The bottom line:
Yoga offers major benefits that can impact your overall health and life from the inside out. It can improve your physical strength, flexibility, reduce stress levels as well as enhance your mental focus and get better sleep at night.