10 reasons to eat more fruits and vegetables
Fruit and vegetables should be an important part of your daily diet. They are naturally good and contain vitamins and minerals that can help to keep you healthy. They can also help protect against some diseases. However, it is important to highlight that no single fruit or vegetable provides all of the nutrients you need to be healthy. Eat plenty every day.
Here are 10 reasons why you need to include more fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Fruits and vegetables are a great source of vitamins and minerals. fruits and veggies are packed with vitamins A, C and E, as well as magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, potassium and folic acid.
- You get to enjoy a variety of flavors and textures. With all their flavors, plant-based foods let you get creative in the kitchen.
- Lots and lots of fiber. Most fruits and vegetables have plenty of fiber to fill you up and boost gut health.
- They’re low-calorie and low-fat. On average, fruits and especially vegetables are very low in calories and fat, which means you can eat more to keep you feeling full without worrying about extra calories or fat.
- Protect against cancer and other diseases. Many vegetables and fruits contain phytochemicals, which are biologically active substances that can help protect against some diseases. That means you can lower your risk of type 2 diabetes, stroke, heart disease, high blood pressure and cancer by adding them into your diet.
- Fruits and vegetables help you maintain good health. Because they’re low in saturated fat, salt and sugar, fruits and vegetables are part of a well-balanced diet that can help you sustain good health.
- Low in sodium and cholesterol. Fresh fruits and veggies contain only trace amounts of sodium. Cholesterol doesn’t exist in fruits and veggies at all.
- Fresh, frozen, canned, dried – they’re ALL nutritious. While eating fresh fruits and vegetables may be your preference, there’s not much difference from a nutrition standpoint when you compare frozen, canned or dehydrated products.
- Convenient, quick and easy. Many fruits and vegetables don’t need any packaging. You can easily grab a banana or an apple as you’re heading out the door.
- Smoothies! If you have a blender, all you need is fruit and ice to whip up a delicious smoothie using all of your favorite flavors.
The Bottom Line:
Enjoying fruits and vegetables is a great way to improve your health and enjoy what you eat. While it may take a little creativity, and effort to try new things, switching to a diet with more fruits and veggies is definitely worth it!